Monday, June 18, 2007

- Dream Job -



(Raft Point, picture taken on walk back from an aboriginal art site.)


I’ve just returned from the first 2 week trip of my new job and it was bloody Amazing!! I am now a deckhand for the Great Escape Charter Company. They run 2 boats that cruise to the Kimberley on 2 week adventure trips, running between Broome and Wyndam.



I was really lucky to have such a wonderful first group of guests on board… and a fantastic crew to work with. They taught me so much and already I was taking guests out in the dinghies on fishing trips etc during my first week. Sometimes we travel overnight and therefore I’m required to watch keep, usually for only 2 hours, depending on how far we have to go. Its fairly easy just monitoring the radar, making sure we stay on course and have no risk of collision. The days are quite long… beginning most by 5am and finishing around 10pm.



(At Twin Falls on the Berkley River)

I’ve always wanted to explore the Kimberley, mainly due to its remoteness, history and beautiful scenery. And I found it was all that and more! Fishing a plenty, waterfalls, fresh water swimming holes and numerous aboriginal rock art sites… Places we visit include the Berkley, Drysdale, Prince Regent Rivers, King Cascades, Ruby Falls, Montgomery Reef etc. All are rich in wildlife, history and paintings making each day very different to the next.



Towards the end of the year we then charter out to the Rowley Shoals on diving, fishing and snorkelling trips. I can’t wait!

(Enjoying a fresh water waterhole at the back of King Cascades)

2 comments:

  1. Ruth!!
    hey you, well i dont need to ask how you are because i can see for myself, you look healthy and happy, which is so good to see. your new job looks amazing, and yes it is a dream job. i dont know if you are on facebook (www.facebook.com) but me, lew and liz, mark and simon all are, would be great if you'd join us lol. ill check for blog updates regularly so i dont miss any of your adventures.
    miss ya ruth, great memories!
    love to you all xx
    chels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey chels!!
    Thanx heaps hey! having a ball over here. Still update the blog when i can.. so keep an eye out... heaps of memories daily while walking around broome. Even Timmy is back in town! so great to see him.. he's looking well and is teaching didge!! Hope your all well and i'll be in touch soon!
    love Ruth
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete